Cannot login as root, exited on signal 11

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 15:09:12 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 6/15/09, Ruben de Groot <mail25 at bzerk.org> wrote:

> From: Ruben de Groot <mail25 at bzerk.org>
> Subject: Re: Cannot login as root, exited on signal 11
> To: "Glen Barber" <glen.j.barber at gmail.com>
> Cc: "Unga" <unga888 at yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Monday, June 15, 2009, 9:27 PM
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 04:11:12PM
> -0400, Glen Barber typed:
> > On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Unga<unga888 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > This is FreeBSD 7.2 on i386.
> > >
> > > After a custom compiled from sources
> installation, root cannot log in but normal users can log
> in.
> > >
> > > Here are the messages in /var/log/messages:
> > > Jun 14 00:44:58 xxx login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON
> ttyv0
> > > Jun 14 00:44:58 xxx kernel: pid 757 (login), uid
> 0: exited on signal 11
> > > Jun 14 00:45:00 xxx kernel: pid 760 (cron), uid
> 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> > >
> > > Note, cron also fails.
> > >
> > > When try to log in, it checks the password
> correctly, ie. if I type a wrong password for root, it says
> "Incorrect ...", but when type the correct password, it
> simply come out and prompts the login prompt.
> > >
> > > It looks like something is missing required for
> the root to log in. I'm using bash shell. Any ideas?
> >
> > I'll make the (probably correct) assumption that
> you've changed root's
> > default shell to bash.
> >
> > If so, reboot into single-user mode, and change it
> back.
>
> Why reboot? You can "su -s /bin/tcsh"
>
> > This is one of the best reasons not to screw around
> with the root account.
>
> Agree. I should bookmark this thread for when (not if) this
> discussion comes up
> again.

Thank you guys for replies.

Now I have more info. I have put some print messages to login.c and libutil/login_class.c source files. Here what it shows:
login: pam_session_established, going to fork.
login: Master process ID: 763
login: We are now in the child process!
kernel: pid 868 (login), uid 0: exited on signal 11
login: Child process ID: 868
login: export_pam_environment() done.
login: We're done with PAM now
login: username: root
login: setlogin() done
login: lc: root
login: pw_uid: 0
login: We are now inside setusercontext()

What happens is, after the child process is forked in login, it die due to some reason. But the child process continue up to setusercontext().

That "We are now inside setusercontext()" is the first statement in the setusercontext(). It doesn't execute up to LOGIN_SETGROUP after that.

But the strange thing is whole thing get executed well for normal users.

The cron also fail due to same reason.

Btw, regarding bash for root, I'm using that on other FreeBSD machines for long time.

Any ideas for whats going on?

Regards
Unga