upgrade almost done on ns1.thought.org

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Jun 15 00:48:45 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 06:03:50PM -0500, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >	well, guys, i just pulled the trigger and install kernel and
> >	world.  upon reboot most things worked.  i'm having trouble with
> >	the ntp stuff and need help there.
> >
> >	who can tell me what idiot thing is wrong with my ntp.conf file:
> >
> >drwx------  2 root  wheel       512 Dec 24  2007 ntp
> >-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel       157 Jan 19  2008 ntp.conf
> >
> >	the ntp directory is/has been empty.  in ntp.conf i thought this
> >	was correct, but upon reboot, i get sudden errors (with 7.2)
> >
> >sage# cat ntp.conf
> >server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
> >server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
> >server 2.us.pool.htp.org
> >driftfile /var/db/ntp.drift
> >restrict 10.47.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap
> >
> >	anybody?
>
> Not certain, Gary, as IANAE; here, /etc/ntp/holds "ntpd.conf",
> and /etc/ntp.conf is a symlink to said file.  No issues with
> ntp; I'm running 7-STABLE from last summer.
>
> Kevin Kinsey

	well, maybe the way i had the pool listed, 0.us., 1.us., &c was
	wrong.  i'll know more after i shutdown -r my ns1 machine.

	same thing here on "tao", my desktop.  i just exec'd the
	/usr/sbin/ntpd on my server and no errors.  are there any
	diagnostics that i can use?  (don't make the read the man page
	until i know what the heck i'm doing!!)

	gary

	ps: to the entire list:: my heart is beating again.  it was
	stalled for a couple hours while i finished the 7.2 stuff ;-)

	--pps: i've done this scores of times, yes, but had it failed,
	i'd be getting ready to blow my brains out with a pea shooter....

       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php
    The 4.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php