what is the best way to remove a program?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Jun 14 16:28:48 UTC 2009

Pieter de Goeje wrote:

> This will replace mysql50-client with mysql51-client and reinstall all ports
> depending on mysql50-client ("-rf"), so they will use the new version. In this
> case the last step probably isn't necessary because the libraries are (mostly
> I think) compatible, but in general it is recommended.

Rebuilding all dependents when upgrading from mysql50 to mysql51 is absolutely
required.  mysql50-client installs ${LOCALBASE}/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.15
whereas mysql51-client installs ${LOCALBASE}/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.16
-- note the changed ABI version number.  Unless you use portupgrade(1)
or save a copy of the old shlib by other means, anything that linked against
libmysqlclient would be rendered inoperable by the change, and must at least be
re-linked.  Yes, the APIs have not changed, but APIs are a matter for programmers
at the time of writing the source code -- once compiled, it's the ABI that counts.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW