reference for beginner on configure/make/compile/linking/etc.

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Thu Jun 11 22:10:15 UTC 2009

As you may recall from a recent post I've been trying to get nTop
compiled and working on Solaris 10 x86.  After 40 - 60 hours (I loose
track) I *THINK* it's actually working for the most part.

Before certain people get pi$$ed off about this not being a Solaris list
- chill for a sec!

I'm just looking for some materials that can help me understand the
whole configure/make/compile/linking/etc. stuff.  Someone that knew this
stuff could've probably resolved my issues in a few hours.  It seems
COMPLETELY overly complex to me - maybe cause the developer tries to
make it as portable as possible, but with every *nix like things putting
files wherever they want, different cc's / ld's, etc. - I can see where
it can get hairy.

Anyway, TIA for your input.  Hopefully this experience and the
references you can point me to will help the next time I try to get
something onto FreeBSD!

TIA!

Gary

"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
 and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
 any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
 and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
 return email and delete this email from your system."