Make Question

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Thu Jun 11 20:43:04 UTC 2009

Peter Clark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have inherited an old FreeBSD 5.1 machine(5.1-RELEASE-p18). I
> realize that the short answer to my question is more than likely to
> upgrade the OS to a current release and I would if I had that option
> right now, but I do not. I needed to upgrade the perl/openssh/openssl
> implementation on this box. My first thought was to use the port on
> the machine that was from that era but make fails. So then I thought
> to csup the ports tree and try with a new version, that fails as well.
> The error is as follows:

5.1 (in fact all 5.X) has reached EOL. The latest ports tree won't
compile stuff for 5.X.  Use the following line in your ports-supfile to
get the last ports tree that was supported in 5.X:

*default release=cvs tag=RELEASE_5_EOL

instead of

*default release=cvs tag=.

Still, since this is going to be really old you may still have problems
(missing distfiles and so on). But is worth trying if you must stay with
5.X for whatever reason.