rc.conf when ssid has spaces in it: missing documentation or missing feature?

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Thu Jun 11 19:55:20 UTC 2009

On Thursday 11 June 2009 11:29:25 Yuri wrote:
> I can't find any references in rc.conf(5) on how to set up ifconfig line
> if SSID has spaces which is very typical situation.
> ifconfig(8) doesn't mention this either but it works if I put quotes
> around it.

So escape use and escape the quotes with a backslash. You may need more then
one backslash, depending on the level of evaluation in /etc/rc.subr and
/etc/rc.d/netif.

> I would assume spaces should be substituted for '_' like in Linux. But I
> remember I wasn't able to make it work for some reason.

The reason probably being that underscores are different characters from
spaces and FreeBSD not making assumptions on things really being other things.
--
Mel