Control-Z the Sleep Signal

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Wed Jun 10 17:04:26 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009 08:28:14 Martin McCormick wrote:
> Mel Flynn writes:
> > Agreed. You're solving the wrong problem by mapping CTRL-Z to CTRL-C. The
> > questions you should be asking are:
> > 1) Why are stale locks bad for the app?
>
> Because if there is one, nobody else in our group can use the
> app to assign IP addresses. I made it back in 1993 so that only
> one person could use it at a time because it adds and or deletes
> records from the DNS and DHCP servers.

If this is the sole purpose of the program, I would retire it if you're using
ISC provided software for these services. rndc and omshell can do all of this
using atomic operations. Information is gathered first, then sent in one block
to the server, so even if two people try to modify/delete the same record, the
one that comes first makes the change, and the second one is handled according
to the new information.

--
Mel