using gutenprint drivers - cups vs foomatic

Andrew Gould andrewlylegould at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 12:45:34 UTC 2009

There is a gutenprint driver for my printer (Epson Stylus Photo 280)
that doesn't appear in the gutenprint or foomatic ppd directories in
/usr/local/share.  It only appears after I install gutenprint-cups,
and then it appears in a gutenprint subfolder somewhere under
/usr/local/share/cups/.

Since many of the installed applications don't seem to want to access
the cups printer, I'd like to switch back to lpd rather than always
recompiling applications with CUPS support.

Will the ppd files under /usr/local/share/cups work with foomatic and lpd?

Thanks,

Andrew