Which nVidea driver to install

LoH lordofhyphens at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 18:45:54 UTC 2009

Michael Powell wrote:
> Section "Device"
> #    Driver         "nv"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>
> Just change "nv" to "nvidia", and perhaps in Section "Module"
> Load           "glx" if you need to.
>

> Also notice what RW said; I am behind the times wrt to how things have
> changed.
>
> -Mike
What I have found to work is to make the nvidia-driver port, but not
install it (to get the dependencies). Then I would download the recent
driver from nVidia's website (as of this email, 185.18.14), untar it and
install that instead. If nvidia-xconfig doesn't work immediately, you
can install it from ports w/o a problem (or do the configuration by hand).

It's a little involved, but it gets the job done.

nVidia's README for FreeBSD drivers:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/freebsd/185.18.14/README/index.html

-Joseph