growing a graid3 array and growfs not growing ....

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:22:20 UTC 2009

Sorry to revive an old thread..  I am working with raid3 vs raid5 at
home to understand the difference better.  And this might help the OP.

RAID3 has a dedicated parity drive, and the number of consumers must be (2^n)+1
  (2^1)+1 = 3
  (2^2)+1 = 5
  (2^3)+1 = 9

RAID5 is a distributed parity, and what seems an unlimited number of consumers.

And about the fdisk error.  See under providers the line: "sectorsize:
2048" - means that /boot/mbr (512 bytes) does not match the sectorsize
of the provider, 2048 bytes.  You'll have to append out the MBR file
with zeros to fit the provider's sectorsize before fdisk will even
consider placing it into the provider.

Now --
  A RAID array will only be as big as it's smallest member/consumer.
5x drives are probably rebuilding as the original size because of the
other 4 consumers being the smaller size.

Hope this helps paint a bigger picture for the OP.