Installing latest version of LaTeX

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 6 06:58:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 09:31:11PM -0400, Daniel Underwood wrote:
> I added the winefish package (LaTeX editor) and installed the
> print/latex port.  During the installation/building of the latex port,
> I received a message that the version being installed was over 5 years
> old.  When I tried to add latex via pkg_add, I had no success (I
> assumed the package was named latex, but it wasn't found).
>
> Winefish works, and latex appears to be installed, but I get errors
> using code I know to be flawless. I suspect this relates to
> out-of-date latex on my machine.
>
> MY QUESTION: Please help me to install the newest version of latex.
> I'm using 7.2-RELEASE.

Use the TeXLive distribution instead. You can find this at
http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html

The latest version is TeXLive 2008. This comes complete with FreeBSD
binaries for 7.x (i386 and amd64) on the DVD, so you don't have to
compile anything.

Unfortunately this is not in ports yet. The consequence of this is that
if you want to install other ports that depend on TeX, you'll have to
edit the Makefiles of these ports to remove the TeX dependencies before
installing them.

Roland