Date representation as YY/DDD or YYYY/DDD

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 5 21:11:25 UTC 2009

2009/6/5 Thomas Dickey <dickey at radix.net>:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 10:49:19PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> >GNU recommended:
>> >
>> >$ tar --extract --verbose --gunzip --file bluurgh.tgz
>> >
>> >Seriously, why are long options encouraged?
>> >
>> there are people that like to write a lot? ;)
>
> no..., otherwise the people generating this thread would cite realistic
> examples, rather than writing a lot.

The point I was trying to make (badly), was that long options are a
PITA to type. I don't believe it's any easier to learn the long names
for options than the short ones. Since you're typing huge amounts of
text quickly, you're more likely to make mistakes, and you'll probably
forget them anyway.

So, instead of looking up short options in the man page, I am then
reduced to riffling through the info tome, to find the long option
that I've forgotten. No really, I do forget long options. A lot.

Chris