Opinion request about a file server

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Fri Jun 5 19:49:17 UTC 2009

> This is one place where FreeBSD is very good. It will give you performance
> on slightly downlevel hardware that Windows Server just can't touch.

is really pentium 4 "downlevel" hardware? sound like a joke to me.

i made all-need server for small office (8 people) using PIII/500 and 384
MB RAM. i charged them only for configuration and new harddrive, server is
for free :)

it runs mail server (including spamassassin, and dovecot), file and print
server (samba), asterisk VoIP software, squid proxy and www server.

with proper configuration it rarely swaps, and can easily saturate
100Mbit/s LAN, just not with single transfer, but it's not hardware
problem, but windows problem :)