Opinion request about a file server

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Fri Jun 5 13:26:55 UTC 2009

Valentin Bud wrote:
> Hello community,
>
>  I have an old computer (ASRock P4Dual-915GL) with Intel P4
> CPU at 3.0Ghz and 2Gb of RAM.
>
>  I am asking the list maybe is somebody out there with a similar
> configuration
> and running FreeBSD on such a system as a File Server and Print Server
> using samba.
>
>  What i mainly try to achieve, talking in storage space, is 2 HDD of 1TB in
> mirroring using gmirror(8) and 1 separate HDD of 500Gb.
>
>  So do you think the system I've mentioned would handle the load? The server
> will be
> used by 4 people for storage of all sorts of files that can be found in
> Design and daily
> Office World (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc, Word Documents, etc).
>
> Thank you,

Got more than a few of similar systems, and have setup one very similar
to this for a friend, primarily used as a Samba server:

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, (socket 478), 2GB RAM
Two mirrors (1 Tb total capacity, 4X500Gb drives), using gmirror and
gjournal
Gigabit Ethernet
He stores very large files (he is an avid photographer).
Needless to say it works without problems and performance is very good.
So, I'd say you can go ahead with your plan.