Date representation as YY/DDD or YYYY/DDD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Jun 4 21:02:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:17:43PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

> Wojciech Puchar writes:
>
> >  > Well, man pages are good at formally documenting the how
> >  > of use, but they often are not so helpful on the why and
> >  > wherefor of use.
> >
> >  for me it's exactly for this - to know how and why to use.
>
> 	It is important to understand "man" is a _reference_, not a
> _tutorial_.  It's great if you need to refresh your memory of the

Yes, I know.   That is why some other additional for is also useful.
I don't really propose changing man, but do often wish for some other
form.  Info does that a little, but still is often inadequate for
some comprehension of the why and wherefor of something that I
have never mucked with.

I am not sure a 'tutorial' is it either because they tend to take a
person through a couple of particular tasks using the item in
question, but still not discuss much of the why and wherefor.

////jerry