Date representation as YY/DDD or YYYY/DDD

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 4 21:18:18 UTC 2009

2009/6/4 Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu>:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:17:43PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
>

>> Wojciech Puchar writes:
>>
>> >  > Well, man pages are good at formally documenting the how
>> >  > of use, but they often are not so helpful on the why and
>> >  > wherefor of use.
>> >
>> >  for me it's exactly for this - to know how and why to use.
>>
>>       It is important to understand "man" is a _reference_, not a
>> _tutorial_.  It's great if you need to refresh your memory of the
>
> Yes, I know.   That is why some other additional for is also useful.
> I don't really propose changing man, but do often wish for some other
> form.  Info does that a little, but still is often inadequate for
> some comprehension of the why and wherefor of something that I
> have never mucked with.
>
> I am not sure a 'tutorial' is it either because they tend to take a
> person through a couple of particular tasks using the item in
> question, but still not discuss much of the why and wherefor.
>
> ////jerry
>

>> "q" flag, or check for exit codes, or check the order of parameters
>> to the _fillintheblank() library call.  But if you're trying to
>> figure out how to do X, or even how to do X correctly using this
>> object ... many of the pages can leave you with the feeling you're
>> stupider than you actually are.
>>       Being a tutorial may not be what "man" was designed for.  But
>> until there's a designated and widely promoted text-only replacement
>> it will be used as one.
>>

>>                               Robert Huff

Info is horrible to use as a quick reference, because as Polytropon
said earlier, you can't just dive in to get something specific. The
info is split into (arbitrary????) sections, through which you have to
tread, and jump around hyperlinks all over.

But then I've never really got on with lynx, either.

Chris