linux compatibility ports upgrade

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Thu Jun 4 17:59:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:15:21 -0400 Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:

> Hi,   Just use portmaster to upgrade ports and found out a lot of linux-*
> ports are renewed. But strange to see that upgrading was interrupted by
> ports conflicts, such as linux-f8-tiff and linux-tiff.

Yes, those ports install files with the sane name/path, so they have
a conflict and can't be used/unstalled together.

> What I have are a
> whole bunch of f8 stuff, I dont understand why portmaster choose to upgrade
> ports that are not "f8".

I don't use portmaster but you are first to complain. Can you show
the output of "pkg_info -xI linux"?

> And also curious to know which linux* is better?

Hm, it a good question. ;-)
The one which does what you need. But there are some security
problems (seems with pango ports) which won't be resolved for
Fedora Core 4 ports (since there is no new fixed packages).

> with or without f8/f10? thank you!!

It depends on your OS version and your tasks. The default (even
for 8-CURRENT so far) is linux_base-fc4 and it's infrastructure
ports. I think that for FreeBSD-6.x and lower there is no other
alternative. For 7.2-RELEASE (and even better, 7-STABLE) one can
use -f8- base and infrastructure ports. For recent 8-CURRENT one
can use -f10- ports. There is a WIP to change this to default for
8-CURRENT.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)