Open_Source

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jun 3 00:49:06 UTC 2009

Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:59:51 +0200 (CEST)
> Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

>> I mean things like sending private data to someone else, scanning for
>> other programs i have on disk, my addressbook etc.
>
> Given enough incentive, it unfortunately seems even open source
> developers will resort to sneaky tactics:
> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/05/mozilla-ponders-policy-change-after-firefox-extension-battle.ars

To the OPs original question(s), I stand by my beliefs in open source,
in that:

- FreeBSD and other OSS has been the fundamental foundation of our business
- FreeBSD and other OSS can be trusted, so long as there are lists such
as this where users can aggregate and discuss the software in a
professional manner

One more point:

- if a mainstream OSS project decides to make a sudden architectural
change within their development/licensing policy, users such as myself
will find out about it on lists such as this, long before I'd hear about
the same sort of tactic regarding commercial software

Due to the latter point, if the rumblings of significant (unwanted)
change are prevalent, it's easy enough to fork off, and continue to use
the last favourable version available ;)

Steve