named: error sending response: not enough free resources

Chris St Denis chris at smartt.com
Tue Jun 2 23:17:28 UTC 2009

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> lot of searching and have found others with similar problems, but no
>> solutions.
>>
>>   named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>   enough free resources
>>   named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>   enough free resources
>>   named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>   enough free resources
>>   named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>   enough free resources
>>   named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>   enough free resources
>
> quite misleading message, but the problem is that named want to send
> UDP packet and get's error from kernel.
>

> possible reasons
> - your firewall rules are the cause - check it.

    Nope

    eureka# ipfw list
    00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
    00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
    00300 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
    65534 allow ip from any to any
    65535 deny ip from any to any

> - your network card produce problems (REALLY i have that case)

    I have had this kind of error on multiple servers over the years, so
    i don't think it's a hardware problem.

> - the network/LAN named tries to sent UDP packet is somehow flooded.

    Dns is probably fairly busy. It's the primary authorative dns for
    some busy domains. Is there a setting I can do to increase the
    limits of UDP packets to keep it from causing problems?

    The server is approaching it's 10 mbps interface speed during peak
    hours, I may need to upgrade it to 100mbps.

> i experienced all 3 cases. last is of course easiest to detect.
>

>> Other messages on this subject suggest a shortage of mbuffs of an
>> issue with
>
> no you are fine with mbufs, memory etc..

Chris St Denis
Programmer
SmarttNet (www.smartt.com)
Ph: 604-473-9700 Ext. 200