Open_Source

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Tue Jun 2 18:30:53 UTC 2009

>> There will always be both of them. And that's OK as long as you can choose.
>
> Yes, I agree.
>
> I use Windows as my workstation, because there are some specific
> applications that require Windows to run.

You don't have to explain - you use because you want to :) that's all.

> Being able to modify software to fit our ever changing environment is
> key, and so is knowing that (for the most part), the ability is there to
> communicate directly with the developers.
>
> Another side-effect of using open source software is that over time, you
> learn how things *really* work. For instance, if you have garnered up

But this is not because of open source. Some closed source too - allows
you or even motivates to understand things. And some open source apps -
try to prevent you from understanding anything.

It's depend of certain product, NOT only the fact of source availability.

> Speaking of logging, open source applications do log...properly.

Depends of program. There are as much open source crap as closed source.