Stop in /usr/ports/lang/gcc43

Matt datahead4 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 19:22:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:12 PM, David Kelly <dkelly at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:06:30PM +0200, Leslie Jensen wrote:
>>

>> I can't get gcc43 to compile. I've deinstalled and reinstalled all its
>> dependencies but it still fails.
>>
>> I'm on a 7.2-RELEASE system with all ports installed from a clean install.
>>
>> The problem turned up when an update for fftw3 became available.
>>
>> Apparently gcc43 is a new dependency for fftw3!
>>
>> Any hints appreciated
>
> Add this to /etc/make.conf. Worked for me:
>
> WITHOUT_JAVA=1
>
> Apparently to build Java one has to increase the size of some tables in
> the kernel. I'd just as soon do without Java.

I've noticed that the lang/gcc43 port's Makefile includes a builtin
call (ulimit -d) that is not available in the csh shell (but is
available in sh and bash).  If csh is the shell in use when the port
is built, the port build will fail unless you define WITHOUT_JAVA as
previously stated.  However, this issue results in a different error
condition than the one stated by the original poster.

Matt