Stable Mail Server And Web Mail

Jeff Dickens jeff at m2.seamanpaper.com
Mon Jun 1 17:47:37 UTC 2009

Another option:

Qmail and Dovecot.  Actually I have multiple servers running those at
multiple sites.  For webmail, I have use squirrelmail and perdition,
which is an imap proxy/multiplexer.  It makes the multiple dovecot
systems look like one to the webmail system.  You could replace
squirrelmail with any other imap-based webmail.

For anti-spam and anti-virus I use Postini.  A dollar a month per user.
I send no mail except via Postini, and I accept no mail except from
Postini, enforced by both qmail's tcprules and our cisco firewalls.  The
combination is fast, safe and low-maintenance (but perhaps not your
definition of cheap).

I've built this thing but only have a small contingent of users on it so
far.. the rest are still on a external host.  Last week I set up mstone,
(see sourceforge project) and have been loading it up to see where it
creaks.  So far so good.