Looking for fast graphical web browser

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jul 31 21:03:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:15:32PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:04:22 +0200, Andreas Rudisch <"cyb."@gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > I never get the argument about 'bloatware' when it comes to Opera.
>
> Only for newer versions. I found the older versions a bit easier
> to configure, especially the Options dialog was better organized.
> But as I mentioned "bloat" (NB the quotes), it's just that there's
> much more functionality in Opera, making it run slower (on the same
> system), but finally, it runs *much* faster than Firefox, I think.

I don't find that it runs much faster than Firefox.  In fact, in recent
versions, it runs slower sometimes -- though still marginally faster more
often than not.

> > And there are a lot of features in Opera, for which you will need to
> > download extra extensions in Firefox.
>
> Exactly. I know, for example, that there are mouse gestures in Firefox,
> too. But they are not built-in. My main argument for Opera is the
> excellent combination of mouse and KEYBOARD support. I'm using the
> english version because the shortcuts and keystrokes are more
> intuitive than in the german version.

I have the opposite experience: Opera lacks keyboard shortcuts for a lot
of what I do in Firefox.  A nice touch shared by Firefox and Chrome, but
not by anything else I've used (including Opera, IE, Midori, et cetera)
is the set of keyboard shortcuts for URL construction.  For instance, if
you enter:

    freebsd

. . . then press <Ctrl>+<Enter>, it automatically navigates to:

    www.freebsd.com

. . . or press <Shitf>+<Enter>, it automatically navigates to:

    www.freebsd.net

. . . or press <Ctrl>+<Shift>+<Enter>, it automatically navigates to:

    www.freebsd.org

> Firefox even seems to lack a key to quit the program. :-)

That's easy.  Just press <Ctrl>+<Q> and it'll close Firefox immediately.

> > Anyway, in the end everyone should use what he likes best. :)
>
> Of course. :-)

. . . just as soon as it gets ported to FreeBSD.

Quoth markinct @techrepublic.com: "Don't take anything you do on-line
lightly.  Caveat Clicker..."