how to boot or access problem file system

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Fri Jul 31 20:23:17 UTC 2009

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 03:42:43PM -0400, PJ wrote:
>
>> Basically, the news is not good.
>> The directories & files are not what I had to begin with.
>> ls /dev/ad0s1 or any disk/slice merely gets: Permission denied.
>>

> Now that is certainly weird. :-) I've never come across something like that.
> What do 'mount' and 'ls -ld /dev' return? Maybe /dev is mounted with
> incorrect permissions. You are logged in as root, I presume?
>
> What strikes me as strange is that your data from the boot prompt
> suggest that your FreeBSD install is on ad3 instead of on ad0. You
> haven't messed with the cabling from the disks, or changed BIOS settings
> regarding the boot sequence, have you?
>
> Roland

No cabling changes... but I did try different boot options...
My setup is a raid1 mirror setup on two 75gb sata disks and another 80gb
sata disk as well as another 40gb disk(who know what's on it) could be
WindowsXP, but I haven't used it. I could try running PartitionMagic to
see what's on there; but there's no guarantee it'll show anything...
will try now.

Ok, PM shows disk1 as ntfs; Disk2 is FreeBSD/386 76,316.6mb 0.0 unused
active Primary

Strange that it shows as full... wasnt when it was working.
Weird if not strange... whereis disk 3 ?
I may have to open the box...

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php