messed up upgrade 7.0 & 7.1 to 7.2

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Wed Jul 29 19:08:44 UTC 2009

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 01:33:50PM -0400, PJ wrote:
>
>> I have been struggling for about 4 days trying to prepare 2 computers to
>> update to 7.2 with no success whatsoever.
>> The more I read the instructions, the less I understand.
>> And almost nothing works as it should
>> Some background:
>> I have been using FreeBSD as a LAN server (for files storage & web
>> development/backup etc. and part desktop for more than 10 years. I have
>> never had great success when it comes to installation but have managed
>> to get it running and have even kept on v. 4.10 for archiving older
>> sites I have had.
>> The older methods of upgrading worked well enough even though they were
>> somewhat lengthy.
>> Last week I finally managed to set up an Acer Travelmate 4400 amd64 with
>> FreeBSD 7.2 and even got everything right. For the first time I was able
>> to get Flash & Shockwave to work on a FreeBSD installation.
>> With a bit of help from this list. Thanks, guys.
>> However, I have not been able to figure out how a custom kernel could be
>> set up nor how the new modular system works. Haven't found any coherent
>> explanations.
>>
>> But now I have the following problems:
>> PROBLEM 1. I freebsd-update fetch did not get the security patches or
>> whatever else it should - all I got was error: configuration file not found
>>

> Does /etc/freebsd-update.conf exist?
>

>> PROBLEM 2. There seems to be some confusion about how to update and keep
>> current the ports - portsnap seems to work in concert with portversion;
>> there are some problems when one uses portsnap as there are with cvsup.
>> The two seem necessary since some errors inn installing cannot be
>> handled by both...
>> If, for example, it is necessary to delete the port completely and
>> reinstall it, portsnap just does not do it. I does not see that the port
>> direcotry is empty; cvsup does and fills it in so the error can be
>> correcte and the port properly installed.
>>

> Portsnap only updates the ports tree (the directories under /usr/ports),
> not the installed ports themselves. You'll need either
> /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade or /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster to
> keep installed ports up to date. I prefer portmaster since it doesn't
> depend on a separate database as portupgrade does. Depending on how long
> it has been since you've updated your ports and the speed of your
> machine, updates can indeed take a long time. You could choose to use
> pre-built packages instead of compiling from source, to speed things up.
>

>> PROBLEM 3. I always have been running with a custom kernel. So, to
>> upgrade I am supposed to provide the GENERIC kernel in /boot. Ok, I went
>> through that process as per manual instructions.
>>

> Did you check that the GENERIC kernel that you built was installed as
> /boot/kernel/kernel?
>

>> Had to reboot as I needed to transfer some downloaded files from the
>> 7.1 box to the 7.0 box for port upgrading.

> [...]
Thanks for the response, Rolland,
I think I have unraveled this stuff a bit.
I haven't checked for the config file yet as I am using the MS portion
of this machine.
I think I can fix the 7.1 machine with a boot disk for 7.2.
That is what is not very clear in the manual. I now see that before you
do the upgrade (that is, BEFORE) you have to cvsup the 7.2 release ports
and sources. I tried to upgrade the 7.1 from a 7.1 disk... so now, I'll
try with the 7.2. I generally lilke to do my updates over the net and
not from the disk and I assume (falsely, I see now) that the idea of
upgrade is not programmed into the manual or the files to mean from a
lower branch to a higher one... :'(
Anyway, I think I'll be allright...
Will repost if I solve this thing.
PJ

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php