problem with startx..!

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jul 29 15:33:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:24:14 +0300, thanos trompoukis <atr0x23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to be like an other desktop environment very simple.
> Now when I try startx I can see the same background I could see before
> but now there are 3 windows (x-term) like the console window on KDE 3.5

This is twm. It's a window manager displaying three xterms. It's
not a desktop environment.

> Why KDE not starts?

Because... maybe you're missing the correct startup files. X display
managers (xdm, kdm, gdm) and the startx command behave a bit differently.
The easiest way to be able to use *any* method of starting is to have
the following files in your home directory:

1. ~/.xsession

	#!/bin/csh
	source ~/.cshrc
	exec ~/.xinitrc

1. ~/.xinitrc

	#!/bin/sh
	[ -f ~/.xmodmaprc ] && xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
	# ... your further startup commands here, e. g.
	xsetroot -solid rgb:3b/4c/7a
	xset b 100 1000 15 &
	xset r rate 250 30 &
	xset s off &
	xset -dpms &
	# this starts your desired window manager / DE
	exec startkde

Refer to the KDE documentation about what's the correct name to start
KDE. I think it's "startkde", but I may be wrong because I am not using
KDE, so it's honestly just a guess.

Make sure that both files are +x attributes.

	% chmod +x .xinitrc .xsession

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany