kernel panic on SATA drive

Edward Sanford Sutton, III mirror176 at cox.net
Wed Jul 29 09:36:19 UTC 2009

The FreeBSD Developers' Handbook describes how to get panic information (and
dig out further details).
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html#KERNELDEBUG-OBTAIN
Was there any output before "ad7: FAILURE - device detached"? Losing the drive
in the bios makes me think hardware, but I'd check for any firmware
problems/updates if they exist.
I have not tried yet, but FreeBSD8 is supposed to finally handle the anxiety
of losing a drive.
http://freebsdfoundation.org/press/2008Dec-newsletter.shtml#Project1

I would try smartctl from ports; run a long scan and read the full output to
see if it passes or if you get a response like:
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       20%     32490
308342849
Also look above that output to see if there any metioned 'Error ## occured at
disk power-on lifetime' type of messages.
to scan, run:
smartctl -t long /dev/ad7
after the scan, read output with:
smartctl -a long /dev/ad7

What motherboard is it? "GeForce 8200" sounds like a graphics chipset to me.

For hardware analysis, try to isolate it to a particular drive (sounds like it
is only the seagate), cable (data or power), motherboard sata port. When the
drive is not recognized, does a coldboot redetect it? Does the drive start
any audible clicking? What model of drive is it? Make sure the drive is
dusted off, increase the cooling, and try again; I have a drive that flakes
out if the three speed antec fan in front of it is only on low but stabilizes
when kept cooler; its a great hint to me that the drive is near life's end.