Xorg 7.4 issue

alainfabry at belgacom.net alainfabry at belgacom.net
Wed Jul 29 05:41:19 UTC 2009

I'm having problems with Xorg 7.4. For some reason, my windows show up but I can't do anything with them, meaning, I see the window appear, but when I type something, I don't see what is being typed.

Sympthoms:

When launching KDM, I don't see the greeting window, but yet when I type my password I get to log in. Once logged in, background and everything (KDE4 taskbar), but when I open an application (konsole, firefox, etc) only the outline of the window appears. So with konsole the outline appears, if I type something it gets executed but I can't see it. Also, when I try to move the window elsewhere, its outline completely fades away.

The same happens when I just use startx -> so it's not a KDE problem. hald and dbus are enabled and seem to work ok since mouse and keyboard can be used.

What can this be, system is basically useless in X mode. Everything worked fine in 7.3.

Sorry for the strange explanation, but I hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks,

Alain