problem with startx..!

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 14:34:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:54:08 +0300
thanos trompoukis <atr0x23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> *Hi all,
>
> I login to my system and try to type: startx
> I get a blank screen (grey colored) that I can see my mouse and
> nothing else.
> and after a few minutes I get this message:*
>
> *AUDIT: Tue Jul 28 16:38:34 2009: 983 x: client 1 rejected from local
> host Xlib: conneciton to ":0.0" refused by Server
> Xlib: No protocol specified

> giving up
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit  unable to connect to X server
>

> waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/msc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: Server error
> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xauth: error in locking authority file
> /home/efialtis/.Xauthority*
>

> *I use KDE 3.5 But when I try "startx" as root it works, and is
> What's wrong?
>
> *recently I change the font (I don't know if this related with)

I have heard of a problem when X is started as root and then later
started as an ordinary user. Evidently, the permissions on the files,
and directories are set for root and the regular user cannot access
them. I am not sure if that is the problem in your case; however, the
fact that X works as root might be an indication of it.

You might want to check the appropriate directory and file ownership's
and permissions.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

	"Then you admit confirming not denying you ever said that?"
	"NO! ... I mean Yes!  WHAT?"
	"I'll put `maybe.'"
		-- Bloom County