7.2 amd64 Flash

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Sun Jul 26 00:57:02 UTC 2009

Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca
> <mailto:af.gourmet at videotron.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Adam Vande More wrote:
>     > On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca
>     <mailto:af.gourmet at videotron.ca>
>     > <mailto:af.gourmet at videotron.ca
>     <mailto:af.gourmet at videotron.ca>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY installed Adobe Flash for Firefox on
>     FBSD 7.2
>     >     running on amd64?
>     >     I have managed to install about everything I need on an Acer
>     >     TravelMate
>     >     4400 except Flash.
>     >     I have found that someone did install it in version 7.1 but
>     the same
>     >     procedures do not work on 7.2. linux_base-f8
>     ("linux_base-f8-8_11
>     >     compat.linuxosrelease: 2.4.2 is not supported.")
>     >     Installed is linux_base-fc-4_14 is currently installed.
>     >     linux_base-f10-10 is asking to use version 2.6.16
>     >     Surely some version of Flash should be functional on FBSD 7.2
>     >     TIA
>     >
>     >     --
>     >     Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
>     >     -------------------------------------------------------------
>     >     Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com <mailto:pj at ptahhotep.com>
>     <mailto:pj at ptahhotep.com <mailto:pj at ptahhotep.com>>
>     >
>     >
>     > Sure it's no different than i386.  You need to set linux kernel
>     > version to 2.6.16 in /etc/sysctl.conf then remove f4 and install
>     f8 or
>     > f10.
>     >
>     > --
>     > Adam Vande More
>     Thanks for the prompt answer Adam,
>
>     I already had f8 installed as well as fc-4 & sctl.conf set to
>     2.6.16. I
>     tried installing flash but here's what I get.
>
>     "The current linux-f8-flashplugin10 spews out:
>     ===> linux-flashplugin-10.0r22 bsd.linux-apps.mk
>     <http://bsd.linux-apps.mk> test failed: The
>     component nss is not defined for LINUX_DIST_SUFFIX= (the corresponding
>     variable nss_FILE is not defined).
>     *** Error code 1"
>
>     linux_base-fc-4-14 was installed as a dependency by some other
>     program.
>     What happens if I remofe it?
>

>     --
>     Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
>     -------------------------------------------------------------
>     Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com <mailto:pj at ptahhotep.com>
>       http://www.ptahhotep.com
>       http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php
>

> In my experience, upgrading linux base hasn't broken anything as long
> as proper steps are taken.  Boris was correct in referencing
> [...]
I'm afraid that I am a little lost here.
I have had a few problems configuring ports on previous installations,
but I hagve always managed to ge them done. Usually, with a little help
to find my own silly little mistakes like typos and just not paying
attention.
But up to now, I have never been able to install Flash on any previous
distributions.
Anyway, I now have flash installed... it does not work.
I have also acroread9 installed... it does not want to work... it loads
up, the panel comes up and last about 1-2 seconds and dies.
That's nice. I went to the trouble to install it and it doesn't work.
Any suggestions what to do, look for, or whatever befor I trash all this
stuff and go back to MicroSlop.
Thanks again...I've had enough for today... gotta get some sleep. It's
been a miserable week installing and reinstalling 7.2 on amd64... and I
was just beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel... :'(

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php