Restarting daemons after portupgrade/portmanager

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Sat Jul 25 17:16:24 UTC 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 14:57:13 Axel wrote:

> So far, so good. But what about the other daemons that still seem to run
> after upgrade (Apache, Courier IMAP etc)? Are the new version running
> fine after the upgrade, or should I set AFTERINSTALL to do a restart of
> these daemons, to make sure they run the upgraded version?

I don't know about Courier, but Apache is generally not affected by on-disk
versions of libraries. The CGI programs however, are, since they're started up
and shutdown with each request (or in the case of FCGI in X requests) - the
Apache workers are spawned from the root process and use that process image.

So there is no definite need to shut down Apache and disrupt service. If a
running webserver is important to you, I also would not do this automatically.
For example, jpeg could be upgraded before Apache and a module for Apache
needing it, yet this module is depending on Apache and therefore not
recompiled yet. As a result, this module tries to load a non-existing library
and Apache restart will fail.
--
Mel