Evolution 2.24.5 && Exchange && can't Subscribe to Other user's Calendar

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat Jul 25 13:42:19 UTC 2009

El día Saturday, July 25, 2009 a las 08:30:16AM -0400, Charles Oppermann escribió:

> On 7/24/2009 1:10 PM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> >Using the mentioned environment (on FreeBSD 8-CURRENT) I can't Subscribe
> >to Other user's Calendar in the Exchange server (don't blame me for
> >this, using Exchange :-)) . It fails with a more or less stupid message
> >about wrong password.

Hello Charles,

> It's not a stupid message; it's telling you it can't authenticate you.
> To tell you explicitly "cannot find credentials servers and services"
> would be a security hole, because if it could find them and merely told
> you "bad authentication" you'd know you have a bad password, and could
> try a different one.

I disagree here.  Look the three examples for host 'boell' I've typed a
wrong password, host 'krampus' (a MS$ one) does not run SSH daemon and
host 'krampuss' just does not exist:

$ ssh boell
guru at boell.sisis.de's password:
Permission denied, please try again.

$ ssh krampus
ssh: connect to host krampus.Sisis.de port 22: Connection refused

$ ssh krampuss
ssh: Could not resolve hostname krampuss: hostname nor servname
provided, or not known

These are the normal world responses, at least of a SSH client in
FreeBSD; I don't see any security hole, but in any of the three cases
you know the error which has occured.

> Active Directory LDAP schemes can be mis-configured and yet still appear
> to work.  Check earlier to see if Evolution or PAM (if you're using
> PAM), was given oa.oclc.org or just oclc.org.
>
> What domain are you in?  It's possible that Evolution assumes that SMTP
> address reflects your domain.  If you are in the OA domain, it should
> not hurt to list your address as xxxx at oa.oclc.org.  Mail sent to
> xxxx at oclc.org will still find you, and you can set the reply-to: header
> field to xxxx at oclc.org.

In the Exchange authentication fields of Evo (Edit-->Preferences-->MailAccount)
I have to set following the advice of the server admins:

Username: OCLC\apitzm

I have no access to the Exchange server, but will check your hint with
the admins there.

> I have this issue at work, as for testing purposes my email address is
> currently chuckop at exchange.microsoft.com, but the alias
> chuckop at microsoft.com works as well.  But my email client keeps wanting
> to send @exchange.microsoft.com which confuses my friends into thinking
> my email address has changed.
>
> Good luck and let us know.

Thanks for your kind help and I will let you know, of course

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211