freebsd-update: from 7.1-STABLE to 7.2-RELEASE?

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sat Jul 25 11:28:31 UTC 2009

Axel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have previously kept my machine updated by fetching the STABLE
> branch using csup and rebuilding the kernel. (As described in Handbook
> chapter 24.7)
>
> From now on, I want to use freebsd-update to simplify the process and
> follow the RELEASE branch (+patches) instead.
>
> But it seems that freebsd-update cannot help me upgrade from
> 7.1-STABLE to 7.2-RELEASE.
>
> Any tips on how to make the transition to RELEASE?

freebsd-update can take you from one very specific point of FreeBSD to
another. For example, RELEASE to RELEASE or BETAx to RELEASE.  If you
follow STABLE, there is no such defined point hence you cannot use
freebsd-update to go from STABLE to RELEASE.

For your case, use the csup / rebuild method one more time to get to
7.2-RELEASE. After that you can start using freebsd-update to upgrade
from one release to the next.