INN configuration

Patrick Lamaiziere patfbsd at davenulle.org
Fri Jul 24 20:32:15 UTC 2009

Le Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:11:47 -0400,
Tim Kellers <timothyk at wallnet.com> a écrit :

> My server has a static IP  (optonline.net) that has no ports
> blocked. From my laptop client I can connect to news.optonline.net
> and grab a full feed of all the newsgroups.  What I'm trying to do is
> setup my own news server using news.optonline.net as a peer.  The
> error I get from my client when I connect to my local news server is:
> "No newsgroups found" even though I have the full list of newsgroups
> from isc.org installed.

How? You should perform a ctlinnd newgroup with each group to add, or
use a checkgroup message.
Your server should reply the newsgroups list to a command "list"

baby-jane:~$ telnet news.davenulle.org 119
Trying 91.121.44.19...
Connected to news.davenulle.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
201 news.davenulle.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.3 ready (no
posting).
list
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
{.list.}
.

> I haven't been able to find a how-to on the internet (The
> FreeBSDDiary has a workable how-to that only addresses a local news
> server) and the instructions listed on the isc-inn site don't seem to
> address my issue.
>
> /var/log/messages show no errors that relate to inn*

INN logs are in /var/log/news, you may have to set syslog.conf (I don't
remember)

> Has anyone set up a n INN server on freebsd, successfuly?

Sure, works fine here. It's hard to say what problem you have without
precision. Note: with INN, *always* use the news account when you
work on it.