jpeg-7 - rebuild all dependencies - how?

Daniel Bye danielby at slightlystrange.org
Fri Jul 24 13:34:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 03:16:54PM +0200, Peter Boosten wrote:
> Daniel Bye wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 02:03:43PM +0200, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Updating one of my sytems I followed /usr/ports/UPDATING and did a
> >> "pkg_delete -r jpeg-6b_7" - only to discover that everything that
> >
> > Au contraire, Blackadder. UPDATING says to run either of
> >
> > portmaster -r jpeg*
> >
> > OR
> >
> > portupgrade -fr graphics/jpeg
> >
> > It says nothing of pkg_delete.
>

> Not anymore, no. This is what's in my UPDATING:
>
> <quote>
> 20090719:
>   AFFECTS: users of graphics/jpeg
>   AUTHOR: dinoex at FreeBSD.org
>
>   jpeg has been updated to 7.0.
>   Quick instructions:
>         pkg_delete -r jpeg-6b_7
>   Please rebuild all ports that depends on it.
> </quote>
>
> I thought it to be the most stupid upgrade strategy ever, but indeed it
> was there in the beginning.

Yes, now that I look at it, it does seem a little brain damaged... I must
admit that when I went through the update a few days ago, I automatically
used portupgrade - didn't even notice it said pkg_delete...

Here's a list of things I've learnt today:

* Don't gob off before you have all the facts to hand.
* Being a clever bastard has the unfortunate tendency to backfire, leaving one
looking like a prat.

*facepalm*

Dan

--