Install from a USB Pen

Randi Harper randi at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 20 04:30:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> Took 3 times longer to download the 8.0-BETA1-i386-memstick.img that to
> download the 8.0-BETA1-i386-disc1.iso. I suggest you look into another
> method of creating the memstick.img so it downloads faster. dd does no
> compression of the data.

-rw-r--r--    1 110      1002     346845184 Jul 16 02:04
8.0-BETA2-i386-disc1.iso
-rw-r--r--    1 110      1002     917391360 Jul 16 02:00
8.0-BETA2-i386-memstick.img

Note the filesize. This may be the reason it took 3 times longer. Just a
guess.

> Using a 8gb memstick as the target to install 8.0 on took 2 times longer
> than disc1 cd installing to same 8gb memstick.

Might have something to do with the amount of data being written. Again,
just a guess. Are you sure it wasn't 3 times longer?

> Selected the [STANDARD/KERNEL DEVELOPER] distribution, It completed
> successfully, but the new 8.0 8gb memstick was not recognized as bootable.

I don't know why that's the case as I am unable to reproduce this problem,
but if the memstick.img is <1GB, why are you using an 8GB memstick instead
of the 2GB?

> Here is a script i have used in the past to convert the disc1.iso to
> bootable memstick. Maybe its better to add this script to the place where
> 8.0-BETA1-i386-disc1.iso is located in place of the memstick.img.
> That way the 3 times larger memstick.img is not needed any more.

No. If you took a look at the contents of the memstick, you'd realize it's
not just a copy of disc1. It also includes livefs. This is probably why the
memstick.img is so much bigger. :D

-- randi