Interesting tool

Karl Vogel vogelke+unix at pobox.com
Sat Jul 18 23:35:26 UTC 2009

>> In an earlier message, someone said:
S> It looks like a text dump of HTML, created with w3m or elinks.

>> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:30:19 +0200, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> said:
M> I wasn't aware of these tools and will check them; the text dump of lynx
M> does not produce such output, even with placeholders for images.

   w3m produces great output for things like tables.  For HTML mail that
   I want to keep in plain-text format, I use something like this:

     qp < mail-message | w3m -no-graph -dump -T text/html -cols 75

   "qp" is a perl script I use to handle quoted-printable stuff:

     #!/usr/bin/perl
     #<qp: decode quoted-printable crap from mailing lists.
     use MIME::Decoder;
     $decoder = new MIME::Decoder 'quoted-printable' or die "unsupported";
     $decoder->decode(\*STDIN, \*STDOUT);
     exit(0);

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company
My name is not "Dr. Death".         --written on blackboard by Bart Simpson