Clearing ttyv0 after boot

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Sat Jul 18 05:56:10 UTC 2009

On Friday 17 July 2009 18:11:56 Joe Snikeris wrote:

> As the subject suggests, I'd like to clear ttyv0 immediately after
> booting so that it looks exactly like the other ttys.  I suspect I
> might have to add a local rc script, but I'm fairly new to FreeBSD and
> am not sure if this is the correct way to go.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers?

This recently came up on this list:
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=83142+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2009/freebsd-questions/20090510.freebsd-questions>

To do this during at the end of rc stage take hints from
/etc/rc.d/syscons, the rc(8) manpage and rcorder(8) about when to launch
this script. Ideally you want to REQUIRE what the last script reported
by rcorder PROVIDEs and possibly delay execution a bit (see
/etc/rc.d/bgfsck for an example of that), since you can't really hook
into the "login prompt is now displayed" event.

Also, if you want the console to stay the same, you will need to
configure /etc/syslog.conf and change the line that sends to /dev/console
to send it to /var/log/console.log. newsyslog.conf(5) is already
configured to rotate that log.
--
Mel