upgrade from Firefox 3.0 to Firefox 3.5

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Sat Jul 18 04:25:49 UTC 2009

On Friday 17 July 2009 16:28:22 Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:07:36 -0600, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 01:43:47AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, I don't think those settings get altered in any way - they do not
> > > reside in the port's directories (where it will be installed into).
> > > To be sure, make a backup copy of your ~/.mozilla/ directory before.
> >
> > Does that cover both bookmarks *and* my tab session?
>
> I think so. Because a !root user cannot write to Firefox's directories
> (inside the /usr/local/ subtree), data local to the user will be stored
> in his home directory. The correct path is ~/.mozilla/firefox and maybe
> ~/.mozilla/default.
>
> I can at least confirm it for the bookmarks. I haven't checked for
> tab sessions because I'm not using that feature.
>
> But just judging from a conceptual point of view: WHY NOT? :-)

Sessions are stored in sessionstore.js. Bookmarks, user modified settings even
extensions are in ~/.mozilla/firefox. If you don't trust what people here say,
feel free to run find ~/.mozilla/firefox -type f and deduct from the file and
directory names what is stored per user. Most files are plain text, so you can
enlighten yourself when in doubt.
--
Mel