badly munged system

Daniel Marsh jahilliya at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 01:12:21 UTC 2009

Eltan,

The actual problem is the fact you installed the kernel, booted the
new kernel and are using the "old" world.

You can boot the old kernel and do a make installworld and it will work.

The world and the kernel will have problems, especially if there are
major version differences between the new and old builds!

Keep the kernel the same version of the world by installing world and
kernel at the same time.

Regards

Daniel

On 7/18/09, Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to do a make buildworld, make buildkernel, make installkernel,
> reboot, make installworld from an old version of 7.2-STABLE to revision
> 195666. I was in single user mode the entire time.
> The first three steps worked perfectly. The final step resulted in an
> error which I forgot to log. I then proceeded to do a make clean and try
> to rebuild the world.
> This results in the following error:
> cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
> -I/usr/obj/home/src/stable7/tmp/legacy/usr/in
>
> clude -c /home/src/stable7/usr.bin/makewhatis/makewhatis.c
> /home/src/stable7/usr.bin/makewhatis/makewhatis.c:146: warning: 'struct
> dirent'
>
> declared inside parameter list
> /home/src/stable7/usr.bin/makewhatis/makewhatis.c:929: error:
> dereferencing poin
>
> ter to incomplete type
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /home/src/stable7/usr.bin/makewhatis.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Along with this error I am now missing quite a number of system files:
> among them include /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: sort: Shared object has no run-time symbol table
> and man.
>
> How could I get out of this state without losing data?

Sent from my mobile device

http://buymeahouse.stiw.org/