7.0-RELEASE Upgrade problems

Rob lists at midsummerdream.org
Thu Jul 16 18:17:18 UTC 2009

I'm new to FreeBSD and installed a base 7.0-RELEASE system and have been
running it for a while with ZFS and gmirror partitions.  I've never
updated since install, so I'm attempting to do so now, but I'm having no
luck.  I'm following the upgrade instructions in the 7.2-RELEASE release
notes, but I get an error I don't know what to do with.  I'm doing:

# freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.2-RELEASE
<Answer a few questions>
# freebsd-update install
Installing updates...chflags: ///usr/bin/CC: Operation not supported

I tried updating to the latest 7.0-RELEASE thinking there was a fix, but
got:

# freebsd-update fetch
<Answer a few questions>
# freebsd-update install
Installing updates...chflags: ///usr/bin/dig: Operation not supported

Am I doing something wrong?  I haven't found any reference to this
error, and while being very experienced with linux systems am new (as
previously stated) to FreeBSD and am not sure where to start to track
this down.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rob