SSO solution in ports?

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Thu Jul 16 17:03:22 UTC 2009

On Thursday 16 July 2009 06:54:39 Bill Moran wrote:
> > I am trying to build a set of web applications that are accessed
> > through a web portal that uses a Single Sign On (SSO) solution.
> > Problem is, there are MANY competing SSO solutions. Since building
> > the client side of the SSO system is more than enough for me, I was
> > wondering if there are any SSO servers in ports that I can just
> > install and use? A CAS solution would be the best, but I'll look at
> > anything.
>
> The most widely supported I know of is LDAP, and OpenLDAP works pretty
> well.

That won't really work as LDAP can't read a browser cookie or maintain session
information. LDAP is a good choice as storage backend.

Your best bet is probably to use an OpenID based solution, as support for this
sign on method is growing in web applications, so you lessen the chance of
having to maintain your custom glue into the application. The security/phpmyid
port is one implementation that allows you to run your own OpenID server.

http://openid.net/
--
Mel