network appliance question

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 05:05:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Jeff Hamann <
jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com> wrote:

> I would like to take a ton of apps I've compiled from source, plus gobs of
> my own source, build a "distro" of that super solid freebsd I love,  and
> hermetically seal it up in a box that can be plugged into a network hub, so
> that users don't have to use anything but a web browser, sftp, or ssh to
> access the contents. My questions are as follows:
>
> 1) Is this possible?
>
> 2) If so, is there a network appliance "starter kit" I can play with first
> to prove the concept, and
>
> 3) If so, where? I haven't been too successful searching for "network
> appliance building for dummies"
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff.
>
> Jeff Hamann, PhD
> PO Box 1421
> Corvallis, Oregon 97339-1421
> 541-754-2457
> jeff.hamann[at]forestinformatics[dot]com
> http://www.forestinformatics.com
>
> There may be a far better method, but perhaps using
/usr/ports/sysutils/freesbie to build an ISO then using it to image a drive
would work for you.

Or there is this sort of approach too, obviously need to be adapted/slimmed
to your embedded enviro as well.  There is an old FreeBSD embedded cookbook
to, I'd guess much of it still applies.

http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/FreeBSD-release-2.html

--
Adam Vande More