5000' ethernet?

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Thu Jul 16 04:10:10 UTC 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 9:25 PM, Olivier Nicole wrote:

>> The max distance for UTP is 328 ft. Divide the 5,000 by 328 and it
>> will tell
>> you how many bridges, hubs, or switches you will need to
>> regenerate the
>> signal. You may find devices purporting to 'range extenders', but
>> even these
>> will have distance limitations requiring more than one. Foofaraw.
>
> That would make 14 hub/switches. I think I remember that the number of
> hubs is limited to 4 in between each end of the connection. I am not
> sure it is true also for switches.

Hubs are simple analog repeaters. Switches are regenerative and
buffered as the packet doesn't get resent until after the needed port
is available.

>> In any case, have boxes of cat5 on order so as to find out myself.
>
> You would need 5 boxes, the connections between each run of cable
> could cause too many loss, even if the timing was not an issue.

Wire connections are not all that lossy.

Meanwhile cat5 is useful for other things after this project is over.

> As suggested by others, I would go for wireless ad it is the easiers
> to install if you have a line of sight.

Is my fault for not stating initially that the customer has ruled out
any wireless option. Originally we were going to run a modest 50k bit/
sec wireless link.

> Another solution, if you really don't need that much bandwidth, is to
> request an ADSL connection at each location and establish some kind of
> tunnel in-between the two boxes.

There are no phone lines at this location.

> As suggested before you could consider fiber optic, you could order
> a 2000 meters roll of underground outdoor fiber, with pig tail
> installed at each end. For a temporary use, you should not need any
> special precaution for installation: these fibers are usually shielded
> to support a truck to running on it... Or you can get the type of
> fiber designed for aerial usage, 8 shapped cable, including a
> suspension cable, and run it from tree to tree; but it's much much
> more installtion work, the cable tend to be heaviy...

Sources?

> And you could get a couple of media converters (UTP to fiber) for
> $1000.

Transceivers are easy to find. Matching cable has not been easy to find.

> Don't be afraid by the cost of fiber optic, most of the cost is
> labour to bury the fiber, it is not the cost of the cable
> itself.

Not going to bury it. Is temporary for less than a week.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net