turning off the wireless network radio

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Jul 14 05:45:16 UTC 2009

I'm having a real bitch of a time trying to figure out how to shut down
the wireless adapter's radio.  The driver module won't unload as long as
the adapter is active, and neither ifconfig nor iwicontrol are providing
a solution either.

I'm using (as you may have guessed by mention of iwicontrol) an Intel
wireless adapter, with if_iwi.ko as my driver module.  It's an Intel
PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection according to pciconf -lv.

Thanks in advance.

Quoth Peter Norvig: "Use the most natural notation available to solve
the problem, and then worry about writing an interpreter for that
notation."