Utah Open Source Conference

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Jul 9 14:05:47 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 23:02:00 Adam Barrett wrote:
> Dear Sir:

That's your first misconception (of at least two, I'm afraid).
freebsd-questions is a mailing list intended for users of FreeBSD to ask
questions which can then be answered by other members of the community.

That's interesting. A link to http://utosc.com would have been helpful here.
(I first landed at your blog via http://utahcon.com.)

> This year we would like to extend the opportunity to FreeBSD to
> sponsor our event.

Misconception number two. FreeBSD is an operating system, not a corporation or
other human entity. The FreeBSD Project consists mostly of developers and
other volunteers, and is likely to have neither motive nor means to sponsor
your event.

> I have attached a break down of our Sponsorship
> packages, which I think you will find are extremely generous. I would
> suggest that you go with a Diamond package. This will give you the
> best penetration you can get in our conference.

See above. While we (and I use the term as a member of the community only, I
don't speak for the FreeBSD Project) would like to see the project grow,
paying for marketing is probably not the way it is going to happen.

On the other hand, if you wanted to offer a "non-profit" booth (gratis) to the
FreeBSD Foundation, that would certainly be appropriate and probably
well-received. See http://freebsdfoundation.org for contact and other
information.

> I look forward to seeing FreeBSD at the Utah Open Source Conference this
> fall!

Maybe someone will show up with a laptop running FreeBSD. Or you could use a
FreeBSD box to provide network services for the conference..

JN