Install guide (Was: Re: Urgent help needed : portmaster dies on py-cairo)

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Thu Jul 9 07:46:26 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 19:45:05 Manish Jain wrote:

> Part-1)    Immediately after a fresh FreeBSD-7.2#RELEASE install :
>
> I assume you will at some stage or the other install a linux port, eg
> acroread8 or acroread9, linux-ymessenger, etc. Incidentally, unless you
> have specific needs, prefer acroread8 over acroread9.

Adding to assumptions: one wants to use gnome as desktop.

> All following steps are to be executed as root.
>
> a)    Make sure /etc/rc.conf has at least the following 5 lines.
> dbus_enable="YES"
> hald_enable="YES"
> polkitd_enable="YES"
> gnome_enable="YES"
> linux_enable="YES"
>
> b)    Make sure /boot/loader.conf has at least the following 3 lines.
> kern.maxdsiz="734003200"

This is a) not needed and b) doesn't do anything useful, since the default
will still be the compiled default, unless you also set kern.defdsiz. The only
thing this does is allow the datasize limit to be raised to 700M, using
limits(1), but since the default still is 512M an unaware application will
still fail malloc(3) if allocating beyond 512M.

> linprocfs_load="YES"
> linsysfs_load="YES"

Which ports you mention require linsysfs?

> c)    Make sure /etc/fstab has at least the following 3 lines.
> proc        /proc                                   procfs
> rw        0        0
> linproc     /usr/compat/linux/proc        linprocfs    rw        0        0
> linsys       /usr/compat/linux/sys          linsysfs      rw        0
>      0

Better to use /compat/linux/*. While by default it resides on /usr, it is
convenient to be able to change the symlink, for example to test a new
linux_base port without wiping the current one or to free up space on the /usr
partition.

> d)    Upgrage from python25 to python26 along with all dependent ports
> as follows :
>
> rm -rf /usr/ports 2>/dev/null

Or you can simply not install the ports distribution, since this is the first
thing you do. I also don't understand why you install a boatload of packages
from CD/DVD only to complicate things by upgrading by my estimate at least
70%. Why not just portsnap and build the leafs?

> mkdir -p /usr/ports/distfiles
> portsnap fetch extract
> cd  /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
> make deinstall  2>/dev/null
> make install clean
> portupgrade -C -r -o  lang/python26  lang/python25
> portupgrade -rfx python26 python26
> pkgdb -F
>
> Before doing anything further, reboot.

This needs a reason. I don't know any.

> Immediately after reboot, execute
> Part-2.
>

> Part-2) Steps to be followed whenever a significant number new
> ports/patches are available and you need to ensure your ports as well as
> your ports directory are up to date :
>
> thisdate=`date "+%Y-%m-%n"`
I assume that's %d, since %n is a newline.

> rm  /root/portupgrade-${thisdate}.log 2>/dev/null
> portsnap fetch update
> portupgrade -ace -uRl  /root/portupgrade-${thisdate}.log
> pkgdb -F
>
> Note : If you plan to install any linux ports, you should have said yes
> to 'Linux binary compatibility' at the time you installed FreeBSD. If
> you didn't, the very first port you need to build is
> emulators/linux_base-fc4

If you use net/skype you will need linux_base-fc6, so again using sysinstall
can be a problem.

--
Mel