Portupgrade not handling dependencies

Eric Sheesley esheesle at shadowlair.com
Tue Jul 7 23:59:06 UTC 2009

I've been running Freebsd for several years on one of my primary public
facing servers.  Currently the server is running Freebsd 7.2.  Up until
about 2 weeks ago portupgrade always seemed to upgrade ports in the
correct order so that any dependencies were built first, allowing all
ports to be upgraded properly in one run.

For the past 2 weeks though I have to run portupgrade 2-3 times every
time I have more than one update because at least 1 port fails due to a
dependency(which is seemingly upgraded after it tries to upgrade the
other port).  What the heck is going on and how do I fix it?

Thanks,
Eric