Urgent help needed : portmaster dies on py-cairo

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jul 6 09:54:58 UTC 2009

manish jain wrote:

> 1) How do I find or set  PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION ?

It's defined in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.python.mk -- the default is 'python2.6'
since 2009-06-08.  If you want to use a non-default value you can override
the default by adding eg.:

PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION=	python2.5

to /etc/make.conf.  You can see what actual value value is used by issuing
the following command in any port that uses python:

happy-idiot-talk:...ports/graphics/py-cairo:% make -V PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION
python2.6

Note that 'PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION' is the python version any add-on modules
will be compiled against.  The similar 'PYTHON_VERSION' variable indicates
which version of python you'ld get by running the command 'python'.  Please
read the descriptions at the top of bsd.python.mk for more detail.

> 2) What workaround would be needed in make.conf to get 2.5-hardwired ports
> to use 2.6 instead ?

You can't do it that way.  Previously installed ports have to be modified to
use py26, as described in the 20090608 entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING:

  Once the installed Python has been updated to 2.6, by using the
  method above, it is required to run the upgrade-site-packages target in
  lang/python to assure that site-packages are made available to the new
  Python version.

  If using portupgrade:
  # cd /usr/ports/lang/python && make upgrade-site-packages

  If using portmaster:
  # cd /usr/ports/lang/python && make upgrade-site-packages -DUSE_PORTMASTER

  The portmaster case can take quite some time to complete due to the lack of
  cached information that the portupgrade suite uses (specifically pkg_which).
  This is not the fault of portmaster.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3