Urgent help needed : portmaster dies on py-cairo

manish jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 09:20:36 UTC 2009

2009/7/6 b. f. <bf1783 at googlemail.com>

> Manish Jain wrote:
>
> >After 3-4 hours, portsnap died on graphics/py-cairo saying :
> >cannot find python headers
>
> I'm guessing you meant "portmaster died" here ...
>
> >/usr/ports/graphics/py-cairo/work/pycairo-1.8.4/config.log says :
> >configure:4734: cc -E -I/usr/local/include conftest.c
> >conftest.c:10:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
> >configure:4741: $? = 1
>

> >cd /usr
> >find . -name 'ac_nonexistent.h'
> >#no results
>
> As the name suggests, this header doesn't really exist.  It's just a
> dummy header used during a test in the configure script to see how the
> compiler reacts when a header isn't there, in preparation for testing
> for the presence of real headers.  That shouldn't be the problem: are
> you sure the configure script really failed at that point?  If so,
> something is probably wrong with your compiler or toolchain, and
> that's usually bad news. :(
>
> >py-cairo-1.8.4 needs python2.6. My system has both python2.5 and
> >python2.6 installed, with their headers under
> >/usr/local/include/python2.5 and /usr/local/include/python2.6
> >respectively.
>
> Why do you have both versions installed?  2.6 is  largely
> backwards-compatible with 2.5, so why not just rip out 2.5 and use 2.6
> exclusively?  You'll save some trouble and disk space. Make sure your
> ports tree is up-to-date, so that PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION defaults to
> python2.6.  Then deinstall lang/python25 and reinstall lang/python26.
> In particular, check to see that /usr/local/bin/python is present is a
> link to /usr/local/bin/python2.6.  If it isn't, then something is
> wrong -- perhaps you have PYTHON_VERSION or PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION
> defined to the wrong value, or your ports tree is corrupt.  Then
> rebuild all of the ports that depend upon python, and remove any
> vestige of the old /usr/local/lib/python2.5 directory tree. If you've
> stale ports that are still wired to use python2.5 for no good reason,
> you can patch them or their port Makefiles, or put a workaround in
> make.conf.
>
> >Any help on enabling py-cairo locate the python headers would be
> >greatly appreciated.
>
> What is the output of:
>
> "make -C /usr/ports/graphics/py-cairo -V CONFIGURE_ENV"
>
> If PYTHON is in there, properly defined as the path to the python2.6
> binary, and the binary actually exists, then the configure script
> should succeed. If not, something is wrong.  The configure script
> uses:
>
> PYTHON_INCLUDES=`$PYTHON-config --includes 2>/dev/null` to find the
> proper Python.h.  Is /usr/local/bin/python2.6-config missing or broken
> on your system?  What about /usr/local/include/python2.6/Python.h?
>
> b.

Hello B,

Thanks for your help.

After running pkgdb -F, I find that there hundreds of ports depending on
python2.5. Looks to me it will be easier to backup my dstfiles and reinstall
the whole system afresh a 3rd time rather than trying to fix the existing
ports. This time I will install no packages from the installation media, and
build directly from ports instead. The first 2 ports I will build this time
will be lang/python26 followed by lang/python. I suppose this should set the
systemwide default python version to 2.6.

Before I undertake this 3rd attempt, I request a few clarifications so that
everything comes out fine this time around.

>> something is wrong -- perhaps you have PYTHON_VERSION or
PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION
>> defined to the wrong value, or your ports tree is corrupt.  Then
>> rebuild all of the ports that depend upon python, and remove any
>> vestige of the old /usr/local/lib/python2.5 directory tree. If you've
>> stale ports that are still wired to use python2.5 for no good reason,
>> you can patch them or their port Makefiles, or put a workaround in
>> make.conf.

1) How do I find or set  PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION ?
2) What workaround would be needed in make.conf to get 2.5-hardwired ports
to use 2.6 instead ?

Thanks for any help.

Regards
Manish Jain